Today I’m sharing fatayer bi sabanekh, or spinach pies.
This is another variation of filled dough, which Syrians love to have on hand for snacks or light meals. It uses the same dough as my cheese pie recipe, and the filling is comprised of spinach, caramelized onions, tart sumac and lemon juice.
So your pies don’t open in the oven there are 2 important factors: a sticky dough (which I tackled with the recipe) and dry filling. Make sure to squeeze all the moisture from the spinach before cooking. A little moisture is reintroduced with olive oil and lemon juice.
Fatayer bi Sabanekh (Spinach Pies)
These spinach-filled pies are a crowd favorite. There are also variations with cheese, meat or olive tapenade. These freeze well in a Ziplock bag and can be eaten warm or at room temperature as an appetizer or snack.
Makes: Approx 30 pies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
5 c all purpose flour
1/4 c olive oil
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp powdered dry milk
2 tsp instant dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1.5-2 c warm water
2 medium onions, chopped
1/4 c olive oil
2 lbs frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 Tbsp sumac
1/4 c lemon juice, plus more to taste
1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- Make the dough by combining all the ingredients except for the water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. With the motor running on medium, gradually add the water until dough comes together. Cover and rise for about 2 hours or until doubles in size.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat olive oil in a pan and add the onions. Saute until they turn golden, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the spinach. The spinach will be quite clumpy. Stir continuously until it starts to come apart, about 3-5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and sumac and continue to stir until well combined, adding more olive oil if it remains clumpy. Cook for about 10 minutes and adjust seasoning. The filling should be on the acidic side because it will be mellowed out with the neutral dough. Set aside until completely cool.
- When the dough is ready, preheat oven to 350 F/175 C. Spread dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll out until about a 1/4 inch thick. Use a cup or cookie cutter to make equal rounds. Continue with remaining dough.
- Take one of the rounds, roll out until 1/8 inch thick. Take about 1-1.5 tablespoons of filling and place in the center of the dough round. Fold one side up over the filling until the middle. Bring up the side next to the folded side to meet it and pinch closed. Close the remaining side to make a triangle. Repeat with remaining pies.
- Bake in the oven until golden-brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Once completely cool, store in a zip top bag in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Store in the freezer up to 3 months.